Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Businessman MP submits resignation to National Assembly

Republican Party lawmaker Ruben Hayrapetyan has handed his resignation notice to the parliament, a spokesperson has confirmed.
Under the National Assembly's Rules of Procedures, a resignation is considered accepted if it is not withdrawn within 15 days after its submission.
If the MP was elected from a single-member constituency, a by-election is held in the relevant district.
It comes after military doctor Vahe Avetyan was beaten to death at the Harsnaqar restaurant complex owned by the ruling party lawmaker. He was hospitalized with serious damages to the skull and died on Friday evening after remaining unconscious for twelve days. 
The businessman MP, who is also the president of the Football Federation of Armenia (FFA), yesterday issued a statement, declaring his intention to vacate his seat in parliament.
"Such an incident was not supposed to happen and involve me and my family. I cannot forgive myself nor do I know how I can apologize. I feel the moral duty to vacate my seat in parliament. I apologize to my voters and hope they will show understanding. I hope Vahe's family will forgive me one day. In any case I will do my best for that," Ruben Hayrapetyan said in his statement," he said.
Hayrapetyan's statement followed a mounting wave of public outrage demanding fair prosecution against the culprits. 

Armenian News

No comments:

Post a Comment