Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Embattled ‘Oligarch=?UTF-8?B?4oCZIA==?=Quits Parliament Over Deadly Violence

Bowing to mounting pressure from opposition politicians, civic activists and media, an influential businessman close to the government stepped down as member of Armenia's parliament late on Tuesday in connection with deadly violence at a Yerevan restaurant owned by him.

In a written statement, Hayrapetian said he feels "moral" responsibility for the death of Vahe Avetian, a military doctor who was attacked at the restaurant in still unclear circumstances.

"I would give everything to be there on that ill-fated night to hold back the fists raised against the young men and stop that tragedy, which took away a life, ruined families and made children orphans," he said. "I would give everything to roll that back. But I can't. Vahe is not alive anymore. I must live with that and look his family members in the eyes. I don't know how."

Armenian News

No comments:

Post a Comment